Everything about Instagram Captions (2023Update)
The first thing that captures the eyes of an audience after the picture or video itself, is surely the Instagram caption you write for them. Captions for Instagram are like the descriptions of a book while the post itself is the cover of it. So never underestimate how effective Instagram captions can be.
While most sites only give you Instagram caption ideas in different niches and types, I am here to explain the A to Z of Instagram captions. After reading this article completely, you’ll know what exactly are Instagram captions, how long Instagram captions can be, how to write the best Instagram captions, and what are the word Instagram caption ideas for the posts you share. So just keep up with us to become an expert on writing captions for Instagram photos and videos in no time.
- What are Instagram captions?
- How long can Instagram captions be?
- How to write good Instagram captions?
- How to format Instagram captions?
- What are some good Instagram captions?
What are Instagram captions?
Instagram captions, also known as Instagram quotes, are brief explanations to the post you share or a sentence and quote, you find relevant to that post. Captions add more information to posts and can include emojis, hashtags, and tags. Here’s an example of a caption on Instagram.
You can mention the place the picture or video was taken, the story behind it, date and time the photos were captured, or add one of your favorite Instagram quotes to the caption.
Why are Instagram captions important?
People who use Instagram only for fun and entertainment usually do not pay attention to what caption they write since they just want to share pictures with their friends and family. But businesses and brands hoping to promote their account should not overlook the power of Instagram captions at all, and they should always seek to craft the best Instagram captions. A few reasons why captions are important on Instagram are as below:
- Captions Represent you
- Captions Encourage Engagement
- Captions Create Brand Awareness
How long can Instagram captions be?
Instagram limits apply to the length of captions as well. It is so important to know how long the Instagram quotes we choose to share under our posts can be. This helps us to choose the captions easier knowing our limits, not to cross them. Instagram captions can be up to 2200 characters long and can contain up to 30 hashtags in the caption.
If you are willing to add more hashtags to Instagram photos and videos, all you have to do is to add those extra hashtags in the comments. But it is recommended to void this mistake since it would make the post look spammy. Using lots of hashtags in an Instagram caption also weakens the effect of the caption since it’d be noticed less. So keep your Instagram captions neat, not overusing hashtags and emojis.
How to write good Instagram captions?
There are lots of websites all over the internet, giving us tons of Instagram caption ideas of any kind, such as funny Instagram captions, romantic Instagram captions, friendly Instagram captions and much more. But what I want you to do is to learn how to write good captions for Instagram yourself without copying quotes from any platform.
Following the steps below, you would get one step closer to become an expert in writing your desired Instagram quotes. So folks, keep reading.
- Collect data about your post
The first step in writing a good Instagram caption is to gather information about the post. You must be asking what I mean by gathering information, right? By data, I mean information like when like where, when, and why the photo was captured, or the video was recorded, or tell your audience if there was a story behind the post.
The answer to such questions would make up the Instagram captions you wanted for a specific post. You can even add a bit of sense to the captions and convert them into beautiful Instagram quotes by expressing your feelings about the picture or the feeling you used to have at the time the photo was captured.
- Start writing your Instagram captions
Now that you know what to write about as the caption starts composing it. If you are demanding enough to ask for a good caption you need to know that good Instagram captions need time to be made. After you finished crafting the caption, check the necessary grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Ask for Engagement and comments
Good Instagram captions are the ones that can drive more engagement to your account, and one of the ways to get such engagement is to get more comments on a post. No one is going to be encouraged to write a comment without good content and a good call to action. So try inviting your followers to comment for you by using creative Instagram caption ideas.
How to add spaces in Instagram captions
There is a new option to add line breaks to your Instagram captions simply through the app. But if you can not use the line-break option because of any reason, do not worry. Here, I show you a new way to add those line breaks to your Instagram captions.
- Open the notes app you like to make a note.
- Attach your Instagram captions there, then copy them.
- Open your Instagram account page.
- Make and edit a new post.
- Long press on the caption section and choose “Paste.”
- Now, you can delete all periods from the last sentence before each line break.
Finally, you have Instagram captions based on your formatting.
The Pros & Cons of Short Instagram Captions
If you are among people who prefer short captions for Instagram, do not miss this part. As you need to accomplish a lot with your Instagram caption, should you focus on length? Here, we show you the pros and cons of short Instagram captions.
The Pros of short Instagram captions
Many people believe that there are a lot of perks to having short captions for Instagram and becoming more concise.
- The first advantage is that if you use short Instagram captions, users might read it all the way through.
- Also, when you write short captions for Instagram, there will be a higher chance that users get the full message you want.
- When you use short sentences, you can make more concise captions and write those beautiful, effective posts, and get more views.
- You have to spend less time writing short captions for Instagram, which is a bonus on the marketer side.
The Cons of short Instagram captions
While there are some advantages for short insta captions, there are some weak points, too.
- Some people believe that captions for Instagram which are short are not persuasive.
- When you choose short insta captions, you can not establish value and meaning well. Short captions for Instagram will not explain why your product, event, or brand is great and users should follow you.
Shot Instagram captions Vs. Long Instagram captions
If you doubt how to choose the coolest caption for instagram, continue reading. You can find both kinds of short and long captions on Instagram, but which one is really better? There are advantages and disadvantages for both of them. But totally, people choose short Instagram captions to make a more concise, shorter, and easier Instagram caption in less time. You can write your instagram quotes up to 2200 characters long and add 30 hashtags. But it does not mean that perfect insta quotes should be this long. The best person who can choose the coolest caption for instagram is you. Try to make your instagram quotes based on your follower’s convenience and catch their attention.
Instagram caption ideas for every occasion
If you want to have perfect captions, it is important to consider the occasion. Based on different occasions that you are, you can use special Instagram caption ideas.
Different occasions are like, Selfies, insta quotes, success, new couple, wedding, birthday, graduation, valentine, and so on.
Best selfie captions for Instagram
First, I want to help you to choose selfie captions. Here I show you some of the best selfie captions for Instagram, which you can easily find your types. If you want to choose the best Instagram captions for selfies, you have to make a short caption. For Example, if you have a new haircut, activity, or signaling a new chapter of your life, the following selfie captions might be the best choices. While these selfie captions for Instagram are great for social media, you can add them to photo books, photo cubes, and gifts galore.
- Me, myself, and I
- I woke up like this.
- You do you.
- I was born to stand out.
- But, first, let me take a selfie.
- In terms of looks, I’m second to none.
- Too glam to give a damn.
If you want to continue reading the best collections of Instagram captions for selfies, search the Shutterfly website for more selfie captions for Instagram.
Cute captions for Instagram
You can use small, little, and short sentences as cute captions for Instagram. If you like to sound cute on Instagram, and search for some cute captions for Instagram, read this paragraph.
- Start somewhere.
- Chocolate doesn’t ask silly questions, chocolate understands – just like best friends!
- If you were looking for a sign, here it is.
- Today is one of those days that even my coffee needs a coffee.
- I put the “Pro” in procrastinate.
- Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.
- I don’t know what’s tighter, our jeans or our friendship.
- You never know what you have until you have cleaned your house.
Continue reading these cute captions for Instagram on the Sassycaptions site.
One word Instagram captions
One word Instagram captions? You must be wondering if we can make one word Instagram captions. Here is a list of the most in-demand one word Instagram captions.
- “Don’t be scare”
- “Too much fun”
- “Amazing life”
- “The way you are.”
- “Crazy things rocks”
- “Go Wireless”
- “Don’t Lie.”
- “Great Things never lie”
- “Feel the vibes”
- “No doubt”
- “Little things”
To see more options, search the Ourcaptions website.
Birthday Instagram captions
Finding the best birthday Instagram captions to mark someone’s birthday is not easy. Even if you buy unique birthday presents, you might want to mark the occasion on social media using great birthday captions for Instagram. Here, you can find the most worthy birthday captions for Instagram .
- Another year older, but definitely not any wiser.
- It’s my party and I’ll wine if I want to.
- I’m just here for the cake.
- Birthdays are the universe’s way of telling us to eat more cake.
- Officially old enough to need a skincare routine.
- You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.
For more Instagram caption ideas, visit the Womansday site.
Beach Instagram captions
The beach life is all about the sun, sand, and sea, which you can use to make great Instagram beach captions. Continue reading to find some of the most fabulous ideas for Instagram beach captions.
Best beach Instagram captions with friends
- Ocean lover.
- Having a whale of a time.
- You’re the only fish in the sea for me.
- Beach you to it.
- Salty and sweet.
Best beach Instagram captions for guys
- Beach life is sheared perfectly.
- Life is good at the beach.
- May your joys be as deep as the ocean.
- Nothing soothes the soul like a walk on the Beach.
Best beach Instagram captions for girls
- No one likes shady beaches.
- See you on the next wave.
- Ocean air, salty hair.
- Child of the ocean.
- High tides, good vibes
Continue reading more examples on the Instafbcaptions website.
Funny captions for Instagram
If you like to write funny captions for Instagram, continue to read the best examples.
- Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
- Reality called, so I hung up.
- I’m on a date, she isn’t very social.
- I’m in desperate need of a 6-month vacation…twice a year.
- I’m on a seafood diet. When I see food, I eat it.
Here, you can read more captions like this.
Couple captions for Instagram
Do you want to find the best Instagram captions for couples? Do you need new and unique couple Instagram captions to surprise your spouse? Here, we gather some of the best Instagram captions for couples.
Baddie couple captions for Instagram
- Don’t you feel BAD while ignoring me.
- It wasn’t loved at first sight. It took a full five minutes.
- Talk to me often. My ears are longing to hear your hot voice.
Cute couple captions for Instagram
- You are my dream come true.
- Every time my phone goes off, I hope it’s you.
- Share these smiles.
Crazy couple captions for Instagram
- Cuddling with you would be perfect right now.
- Let’s cuddle so I can steal your body heat…
- I’ll never finish falling in love with you.
Look here for more couple Instagram captions.
Best friend Instagram captions
Most of us share pictures with our best friends on Instagram, which can be perfect if we add interesting captions for friends on Instagram to them. Let’s see some of them:
Funny best friend Instagram captions
- I was an innocent being. Then my best friend came along.
- We are best friends. Always remember that when you fall, I’ll pick you up… after I finish laughing.
- Friends knock on the door. Best friends walk into your house and start eating.
Short best friend Instagram captions
- A big hug from a Small person!
- Friends are the family you choose.
- Friendship is…being equally annoying.
- Looks like a fun gang.
- Best memories come from bad ideas.
best friend Instagram captions for group photos
- You can’t do epic stuff with basic people.
- Friends are like stars. You may not see them all the time, but they are for sure there.
- Friends who slay together, stay together.
- The sunshines of my life.
You can find more options of captions for friends on Instagram here.
Sad Instagram captions
Here, you can read some of the most popular Sad Instagram captions, which you can choose among them.
Short sad Instagram captions
- It’s hard to forget and I regret all my mistakes.
- Monsters don’t sleep under your bed, they scream in your head.
- It hurts the most when the person who made you feel so special yesterday makes you feel so unwanted today.
- Different faces, different experiences, different monsters in you.
Sad Instagram captions for photos
- Just to avoid getting hurt, he started living alone.
- The pain I feel is the only thing that reminds me I’m still alive.
- Everyone is going to hurt you. You just need to find that one person who is worth suffering for.
- Drowned in darkness, confined in pain.
Continue reading about these kinds of sad Instagram captions on the Bestgoodcaptions website.
Nature Instagram captions
If you are looking for some best collections of nature Instagram captions, you are at the right place. Use these nature Instagram captions for your nature pictures and photos and reach the most views.
- Sky above, earth below, and peace within.
- If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.
- Camping hair, don’t care.
- Going where the wind blows!
- Meet me where the sky touches the sea
- The sound of Nature is delightful. Everyone Loves.
- To read more of these nature Instagram captions, search the Captionsguru website.
Best places to find Instagram captions (Instagram caption generator)
If you need to find good captions for Instagram for different occasions like Instagram selfie captions, wedding captions, birthday captions and more, continue reading. As you know, good captions for Instagram helps you find more followers and likes. For example, you can use nice Instagram selfie captions, and express what you want to say with your images. If you feel that writing a fine caption is challenging, read the below list of Instagram caption generator tools and find the best caption ideas.
- Preview app
- Caption AI
For more information about each of these Instagram caption generators, tap here.
How to ask for comments on Instagram captions?
- Ask questions in Instagram captions
Questions in Instagram captions can help you get more “engagement” (if your goal is to grow your Instagram page). Remember not to add all the questions at once and keep it natural. It is also better to write your question at the beginning of the caption so that people see it straight away when they look at your post.
- Encourage users to tag others
This is one of the best Instagram caption ideas ever. You surely have noticed this one lot of times. Numerous accounts are asking their audience to tag their friends, partners, and others on the comment section under their Instagram captions. The purpose of this is to get more engagement. So relate the post to a group of people and ask your followers to tag others.
- Directly ask for comments
Be yourself. Why do you think to be serious on Instagram works? Instagrammers love friendly people. If you want more comments and engagement, ask for it. Add captions such as comment your thoughts, comment on on what you think of my post, etc.
How to format Instagram captions?
After talking about how to write good Instagram captions, we need to discuss the format of captions. This is a rarely discussed subject, but I think it is very important to know how to format good Instagram captions and what is the order to add the caption’s element.
- Writing Instagram captions
The first thing we should add when editing our Instagram captions is the quote we have chosen. As mentioned earlier above, it can be a story behind the post, a question you want to ask your followers, a joke or even Instagram quotes you find interesting. So just type one of your Instagram caption ideas or copy-paste it to the editing space.
- Adding Instagram mentions
Instagram gives us the ability to mention other accounts on comments to capture their attention to a post we want them to see. You can mention other accounts on Instagram captions, as well. This can happen anywhere in the caption, either in between the text or at the end of it.
How to mention someone on an Instagram caption?
To mention someone, type @ followed immediately by their username. Don’t include a space between @ and the username. When you mention someone, they’ll get a notification in their Activity Feed, letting them know.
- Adding Instagram hashtags
This is a well-known fact that you can add hashtags to your Instagram posts in order to expose them to new audiences and make the post visible to anybody searching for those specific hashtags. As well as Instagram mentions, you can add Instagram hashtags both in between the caption or at the end of it. But the most used way to add hashtags is to add them at the end of the captions.
- Using emojis
Another option we have when posting to Instagram is to add emojis to make our posts much more fun and eye-catching. When you include relevant and cool emojis in your Instagram caption, you make them more special, and Instagrammers prefer friendly caption formats to formal ones.
What are the Worst Instagram Captions You Should Never Use?
When there is best, there surely is worse too. So since I talked a lot about the best Instagram captions, I think it is necessary to go through the worst ones as well. Below are the worst Instagram captions from my own point of view as an audience. These sorts of captions always bore me and make me want to scroll pas that Instagram posts as fast as possible.
- Instagram captions that are filled with hashtags
I have mentioned this one earlier in the blog, but since it is very important to avoid doing these actions, I ‘m going to focus on it a bit more.
Just imagine yourself as an audience watching Instagram photos which include all 30 hashtags on their captions. And it would be even worse if the posted adds more hashtags on the comments too! These kinds of posts look spammy, and it is obvious that the poster only cared for their post to be seen and doesn’t know a thing about good Instagram caption ideas.
- Instagram captions which are really long
Most of us go to Instagram for entertainment and to see quality content, which is worth watching, and it would be very desperate when we reach a post which is 2000 characters long, and the poster is explaining the whole story behind that specific picture or video. I’d just scroll past these kinds of posts what about you?
- Instagram captions that are overused
There surely are lots of Instagram quotes that are popular among users and are used millions of times as an Instagram caption. But do not make the mistake of using them one more time as a caption for your posts. I know the quote is great, and you love it but pay a little attention to what your audience wants and imagine the moment they’d feel “Ahhhh, not again!”
- Instagram captions that are irrelevant to your post
It surely has happened to a lot of us that we are reading a caption on Instagram and hesitate a bit thinking, “so, what? How is it related to the picture you have posted, dude?” Do not make your followers say such words after reading your post captions. Always look for captions that are relatable to the post you have shared.
- Instagram, captions that are separated
You might be thinking about what I mean by “separate Instagram captions.” So let me tell you that this refers to those kinds of Instagram caption ideas in which each of them is dedicated to one of the pictures on the album you have posted.
Imagine someone posting multiple photos as an Instagram album, and they decide to add separate captions for each of them by dividing the caption into part 1, part 2, and part 3. Sorry to be Frank, but I think that’s just really ridiculous!
- Instagram captions dedicated to a specific person
It’s fine If somebody wants to tell their Instagram followers that their mom is great or how much they love their partner. But the followers probably don’t want to read a long, drawn-out caption that reads like a love letter. Keep things short and sweet. And don’t directly address anybody in Instagram captions.
- Instagram captions that bully or make fun of other people
Making fun of people is never acceptable, neither in real life nor in social media platforms. But there still are users who post sarcastic Instagram captions making fun of a specific person. If you disagree with somebody’s posts, ideas, or choices, try to have an intelligent conversation about it. Don’t turn to an Instagram caption to shame them.
- Instagram inspirational quotes as selfie captions
Inspirational quotes are not bad. Actually they are thoughtful and beautiful if they are related to the post you share, but as an Instagram c caption for a selfie, they do not work. The quote presumably has nothing to do with your picture. Also, it’s a cheap excuse for posting another selfie when you can’t think of anything more delightful to shoot.
What are some good Instagram captions?
Good Instagram captions are those which relate the most to the picture you want to share. You can either compose a caption yourself or use some Instagram caption ideas people already use. It is wiser if you try writing an appropriate caption yourself because that would be more relevant and unique at the same time. But if you want some good Instagram captions, here are some website full of different kinds of caption ideas for your Instagram posts.
250+ Best Instagram Captions You Can Use for Your Photos!
300+ Best Instagram Captions and Instagram Quotes for Your Photos
1000+ Beautiful Instagram Captions – A collection of Lyrics and Quotes
We have come to an end and I’m sure you have found every question you had about Instagram caption in this blog. So from now on, compose more thoughtful captions and arrange them in a way to bring more engagement to your account. Be yourself and do not try to act very formal at all. Your Instagram audience, no matter what your niche is, love you to be friendlier with them and add a little uniqueness and fun to your captions.