The 9 Best Free Fitness Apps in 2023
Between work, family, and other commitments, it can be hard to find time to go to the gym. And even if you do make it to the gym, it can be tough to motivate yourself to actually work out. This is where free fitness apps come in. Fitness apps provide an easy and convenient way to get in a workout, no matter where you are. And best of all, many of them are free. In this blog post, we will take a look at some of the best free fitness apps on the market. We will discuss their features and how they can help you meet your fitness goals.
Nike Training Club
Nike Run Club
How do free fitness apps work?
Most free fitness apps work by tracking your movement and activity throughout the day. They use GPS to track your location and map out your route, and they use the accelerometer in your phone to track your speed, distance, and calories burned. Some apps also incorporate heart rate monitors and other health sensors to give you a more complete picture of your fitness.
Most apps will also let you set goals and track your progress over time. You can log weight loss or gain, monitor how many steps you take each day, or set a goal for how much activity you want to do in a week. Some apps also offer challenges and rewards to keep you motivated. And many of them integrate with popular fitness tracking devices like Fitbit and Jawbone UP.
You can also read: 10 Best Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
All of these apps are free; however, they contain paid options that you can access. Also, all of these apps are available for both Android and IOS.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular free fitness apps and what they have to offer:
Strong is an app to help you track your workouts in an easy and intuitive way. The app comes with exercises and plans already registered, but you can also add your own. Create your routines and track your progress over time. Finally, the app also allows you to record your weight and body measurements. You can sync all of this data with Apple HealthKit and Google Fit so that it doesn’t get lost or forgotten.
- Easy to use
- Comes with exercises and plans
- Can track progress over time
- Can record weight and body measurements
- Limited number of exercises and plans
- No way to share progress with friends or family
- No way to track other health metrics
Jefit is an app that allows you to track your workouts. It comes with exercises and plans already registered and you can add others. You can also create routines, track your progress over time, and record your weight and body measurements. With the app, you get access to the community of people who use Jefit and the training plans they create, something you do not get with Strong.
- Allows you to track your workouts
- Comes with exercises and plans already registered
- You can create routines
- Track your progress over time
- Record your weight and body measurements
- The app can be overwhelming with too many features
- The community of users can be intimidating
- Not as intuitive as some other fitness apps
3. Nike Training Club
Nike Training Club is the ultimate app for anyone looking to get (or stay) in shape. It tracks your workouts, sends you reminders, and offers options for every goal. You’ll find more than 185 workouts in categories such as strength, endurance, yoga, and mobility. The app also makes workout suggestions according to your training history, and videos on how to perform exercises.
- Offers a wide variety of workouts
- Creates workout plans according to your goals
- Makes workout suggestions based on your training history
- Provides videos on how to perform exercises
- Easy to use interface
- Does not offer personal coaching or feedback
- Requires a Nike+ membership to access some features
- Some users have reported bugs and crashing
4. Nike Run Club
Nike Run Club is a new app that lets you register your workouts and track progress for yourself. With the Nike Run Club app, you can also track your progress with other members of the Nike Run community, so you can compare how far you’ve come with other people who are also working hard.
- Nike branding
- Part of a community
- Can track progress
- Progress can be compared to others
- May not be as accurate as other running apps
- Limited customization
Strava is an app that can be used by cyclists, swimmers, runners, and other athletes to track their progress. It provides feedback on a wide range of performance metrics such as distance, speed, altitude, calories burned and more. Strava also has a social aspect where you can follow your friends’ activities or share your efforts with the rest of the community.
- Can be used for multiple activities
- Can track your performance and progress over time
- Access to a community of people
- Can share your progress with others
- You need a data plan or wifi connection to use it
- The app can drain your battery quickly
- some features require a premium membership
Ever want to know how many calories are in the food you’re eating? With MyFitnessPal, you can always keep track of that. It also has a huge database of foods so you’ll never have to worry about there being something missing. Even better, the app tracks and provides your weight, body fat percentage and more! Unlike most apps, it’s completely customizable and you can add any food imaginable.
- Helps with weight loss
- Can see how many calories you are consuming
- Helps to be more mindful of what you are eating
- You can add in your own foods
- There is a large database of foods
- You have to be diligent in adding everything you eat and drink
- It can be time-consuming
- You may become obsessed with calorie-counting
7. Daily Yoga
Daily Yoga is the best Yoga app for anyone who wants to improve their health and performance. It includes more than 50 yoga courses and more than 400 yoga asanas. You’ll have access to classes of different duration (between 5 and 45 minutes) and 3 types of strength (low, medium, high).
- More than 50 yoga courses
- More than 400 yoga asanas
- Classes of different duration (between 5 and 45 minutes)
- 3 types of strength (low, medium, high)
- Access to classes offline
- Some users have complained about the app freezing and crashing
- Some users have also complained that the app is not very user-friendly and is difficult to navigate
- There have been reports of bugs and glitches with the app
Endomondo is one of the most popular fitness apps on the market. The app is designed to help you track your performance and keep your motivation high. You’ll also be able to sync it with other apps and devices, which makes bedroom or office workouts significantly easier than they were before.
- Over 60 sports are available to track
- Syncs with other apps and devices
- Community features
- Access to detailed statistics
- Limited customization options
- No coaching features
- Some users have reported technical issues
Calm is a meditation and mindfulness app that includes guided meditations, bedtime stories, breathing programs and relaxing music. In addition, it is recommended by renowned psychology professionals, therapists, and mental health specialists. The app provides tools to increase focus at work and home as well as reduce anxiety before an event or during a stressful time.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Increases focus
- Improves sleep quality
- Has guided meditations
- Has relaxing music
- App is not free
- Requires sign up and login
- Some features are locked behind a paywall
What are the benefits of using free fitness apps?
There are many benefits of using free fitness apps. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Free fitness apps can help you save money on gym membership fees.
- Free fitness apps can help you workout at your own convenience, without having to travel to a gym.
- Free fitness apps offer a wide range of workout programs and exercises that you can follow, regardless of your fitness level.
- Free fitness apps can help you track your progress and see results over time.
- Free fitness apps can motivate you to stay on track with your fitness goals by offering challenges and rewards.
How to choose the best free fitness app for you
When it comes to choosing a free fitness app, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, think about your goals. Are you looking to lose weight, get in shape, or just improve your overall health? Once you know what you want to accomplish, you can narrow down your options.
Next, consider the features of each app. Some apps offer more comprehensive tracking than others, while some have more exercises and workouts available. Find an app that has the features that are most important to you.
Finally, take some time to read reviews of the different apps before making your decision. This will help you see what other people have liked and disliked about each one. With all of these factors in mind, you should be able to find the best free fitness app for you!
There you have it! Our top free fitness apps to help get you in shape. And the best part is, they’re all free! So there’s no excuse not to start using them today. We hope you found this article helpful and that you’ll start using one or more of these apps to help improve your fitness.