10 Best Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
Progressive web apps are a new type of app that combines the best of the web and the best of apps. They are fast, reliable, and engaging. And, they can be installed on your phone just like a native app. If you’re looking for a way to improve your web app or create a new one, then you should definitely consider making it a progressive web app. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about progressive web apps, including what they are, why you should build one, and how to get started.
What is a Progressive Web App?
A Progressive Web App (PWA) is a web application that uses modern web technologies to deliver a native app-like user experience.
PWAs are responsive and fast, even on slow networks, and can be installed on your users’ home screen without requiring an app store.
What makes a Progressive Web App? To qualify as a PWA, your app must meet the following criteria:
- Serve content over HTTPS
- Be responsive – fit any form factor, whether mobile, tablet, or desktop
- Load quickly – ideally in less than 3 seconds even on slow networks
- Be installable – allow users to “add to home screen” without requiring an app store
Here is the 10 best Progressive Web Apps in 2022:
Starbucks wanted to create a system that would be universally accessible to the emerging markets, so they created their own PWA that looks and feels exactly like a native app. The core idea is to provide users with a service of the same quality, while being accessible on any device and having lower bandwidth costs.
- Fast and lightweight
- Easy to use
- Great for coffee lovers
- Helps you save money
- Has a rewards program
- Only available in certain areas
- Can be expensive
- Limited menu options
Flipboard is a web app that curates the world’s stories, videos, photos, and links in a magazine-like format. With more than 23 million readers to date and 3 billion page flips per month, Flipboard is one of the most popular social magazines in the world. Flip through the “covers” of your favorite publications such as TIME, The Wall Street Journal, and People. Or follow your friends on Facebook or Twitter to see what they’re reading. You can also search for specific articles or check out news from top websites like NYTimes.com or ESPN.com.
- Get news and information from a variety of sources in one place
- Easily share articles with others
- Save articles for later
- Customize your Flipboard experience by selecting the topics that interest you
- Receive breaking news notifications
- Occasional crashing
- Slow loading times
- Some ads
Forbes is a leading authority on wealth and its ability to create economic opportunity. At Forbes we have deep and proprietary reporting on the world’s top 10,000 billionaires, reports from major investors like Warren Buffett and Paul Tudor Jones, plus coverage of up-and-comers through our Forbes 30 Under 30 list.
- Forbes is a well-respected and well-known business magazine
- Forbes offers articles on a variety of finance, industry, investing, and marketing topics
- Forbes is headquartered in the United States
- Forbes is available in print and online
- Forbes charges for some of its content
- Forbes’ website can be difficult to navigate
- Some readers find Forbes to be too U.S.-centric
MakeMyTrip is a travel website that has a mobile app as well. On the site, you can find information on flights and hotels, or book them with ease. The mobile app also has all the same features that are available on the regular website. You can choose which searches will be done in your area to make it easier to find things like restaurants and attractions, or you can use quick search tools for more specific items like destinations.
- Seamless mobile experience for customers
- Increased reliability
- More than 22 million customers
- Key to offering seamless mobile experiences
- Offers mobile site that is reliable
- May not be able to offer the same level of customer service as the app
- Some features may be limited
- May not be able to offer the same level of customization
Uber is an on-demand mobility service that connects people with a driver. The Uber app, available for both Android and iOS, allows you to use the map to find your pick up location, see estimated fares and travel times, watch your driver’s progress towards you and share your ETA with friends.
- Not available in all areas
- Can be surge pricing during busy times
- Cancellation fees
Pinterest is a visual bookmarking tool that allows users to collect, manage and share pictures and other media through your profile. Unlike traditional bookmarking tools, it also lets you share images with others on the Pinterest website or other websites via embedding.
- Can help with organization
- May inspire creativity
- Can be used as a research tool
- Can provide a sense of community
- May promote mental well-being
- Can be addictive
- May encourage negative comparison
- Can be time-consuming
BookMyShow is India’s largest ticketing company, and with over 50+ million monthly visitors, it’s no wonder that the site was experiencing high bounce rates. To overcome the problem, BookMyShow launched a PWA to deliver the best possible experience for users. The new PWA was designed to be faster, sleeker, and more intuitive than its predecessor.
- Increased engagement and conversions
- Improved performance
- Enhanced user experience
- Reduced data usage
- Increased offline accessibility
- Limited browser compatibility
- Requires a high-speed internet connection
- Not all features are available offline
Spotify is an international media service provider that gives you access to millions of songs and podcasts from different languages. Compared to its native app, the PWA version of Spotify is considerably faster. The main advantage for you as a user is that the app doesn’t require downloading or installing anything.
- Fast and responsive
- Support for multiple languages
- Millions of songs and podcasts
- Offline playback
- Battery intensive
- Requires a strong internet connection
- Some features are only available in the premium version
With AliExpress, you can buy virtually anything you want from China at rock bottom prices! Bestsellers include fashion, baby products, home and garden items, and electronics. Shop with confidence knowing that your purchase will be securely processed by a secure payment system.
- Great prices on a variety of items
- Wide selection of products
- Fast shipping
- Good customer service
- Easy to use website and app
- Some sellers are not reliable
- Products can be counterfeit
- Shipping times can be slow
10. Twitter Lite
Twitter Lite is one of the best social media apps for the modern world. It’s built with features that work reliably on all connection types and is designed to consume much less data, making it a perfect app for people looking to avoid expensive carriers such as Verizon or AT&T.
- Fast and responsive on slow networks
- Saves data
- Loads quickly on 2G and 3G networks
- Offline support
- Push notifications
- Some features are not available offline
- Some images are not downloadable offline
- Limited number of tweets that can be stored offline
Advantages of Progressive Web Apps
Progressive web apps are becoming more and more popular, as they offer many advantages over traditional web apps.
Some of the advantages of progressive web apps include:
- Increased reliability – Progressive web apps are built using modern web technologies that allow them to be more reliable than traditional web apps. They can load quickly, even in poor network conditions, and work offline if needed.
- Improved performance – Progressive web apps can offer a smoother and faster user experience than traditional web apps, thanks to their use of modern technologies.
- Engaging user experience – Progressive web apps can provide an immersive and engaging user experience, with features such as push notifications and home screen shortcuts.
- Installation on devices – Progressive web apps can be installed on devices just like native apps, making them easily accessible for users.
- Increased reach – Progressive web apps have the potential to reach a wider audience than traditional web apps, as they are not limited to app stores or specific platforms.
Disadvantages of Progressive Web Apps
Progressive Web Apps have a number of disadvantages that should be considered before deciding to use them for your business.
- They rely on an internet connection: Progressive Web Apps need an internet connection in order to work. This means that if your customers are in an area with poor or no internet coverage, they will not be able to use your PWA.
- They are not as responsive as Native apps: PWAs can sometimes be slower and less responsive than native apps, depending on the devices they are being accessed on. This can be a major issue for businesses that rely on fast and responsive customer service.
- They require separate URLs for each platform: Unlike traditional web apps, PWAs need a separate URL for each platform they are being built for (e.g. Android, iOS). This makes it more difficult to manage and keep track of your PWA content, especially if you have multiple versions of your PWA running on different platforms.