Sometimes you may intentionally or by mistake do something silly or embarrassing on social media. It’s no surprise that you do not want this type of message you have sent someone forwarded to other people. Companies like Facebook are constantly researching the demands and needs of people and trying to answer them. After all, this is how a product or service remains popular and stays ahead of its competitors.
How Vanish Mode came into existence
Recently Facebook announced that it was adding a new feature to Messenger and Instagram called Vanish Mode. This feature was first launched in the United States of America and some other countries but has grown wider since then. The feature will be available on Instagram soon as well.
What is Vanish Mode Exactly
When you enter a chat with someone with a vanish mode, the chat is and secrets are deleted automatically after the chat is ended. The chat is end-to-end encrypted. If the person you are talking to takes a screenshot, Messenger and Instagram notify you. You can only enter the self-destructive type of chat with people you are connected to. Regarding security, it is good to say that you will be asked for consent if you are about to enter such a conversation. If you feel unsafe or realize that someone is violating your privacy, you can report it like before.
How to enable Vanish Mode
To enter a secret conversation with someone swipes up the chat area. Either of you can stop the feature by tapping “turn off vanish mode”.
Here’s a step by step guide:
- Open the application and choose an existing chat area from the top right corner or start a new chat.
- Swipe up the screen.
- Your screen turns black and some “shush” emojis fall off to show that you are in vanish mode. The same thing happens for your recipient too. You can end the mode by tapping “turn off vanish mode”.
- You will be able to see the conversation after you enter the mode up until you close the window.
Is it available on Instagram web
Unfortunately, the self-destruction mode is not available on the Instagram web yet and you can only chat with your friends just like before. We suggest that if you want to share something confidential with your friend, use the Instagram application on your mobile phone or use an alternative application with this feature.
How to disable Vanish Mode
You may want to turn off vanish mode after you share a photo or a secret that you want your friend now. In that case, you need to take the following steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Open the chat area you have enabled vanish mode for before.
- Simply hold and swipe up or tap “turn off vanish mode” and you are done!
Criticism about this new feature
When the self-destruction mode was launched a lot of people praised it but some believed it had made cheating easier for their partners and questioned the motives behind it. However, Facebook said when they were designing this feature they were thinking about people’s safety and control of the experience. They added that only those people can chat privately who are connected on Facebook Messenger and they can choose whether to use this option or chat like previously.
- This self-instruction mode is a new feature that Facebook has added to Instagram.
- It is not to this day available in all areas of the world.
- It is only enabled on mobiles phones and not the web version yet.
- In order to enable or disable it, follow the steps provided above.