You might have heard about public utility jobs, but if you are eager to find a job in this field and work as a professional public utility, you need to collect more information about these jobs, such as how many jobs are available in public utilities, is public utilities a good career path, what do public utilities jobs pay, and like this. So, I invite you to read this text until the end and find helpful information about the best paying jobs in public utilities and their details.
What is a public utility job?
Before introducing the best-paying jobs in public utilities, let’s see what professionals in the public utility field do. All people who choose to work these jobs are responsible for providing water, electricity, and other essential resources for the people of their country. Whether you are working for the government or a private company, if you want to be successful in your public utility job, you should be interested in helping others to live easier. If you are among this group of people, but you are not sure is public utilities a good career path, read the below paragraphs.
15 best paying jobs in public utilities (+ Salaries)
Now that you know what is a public utility job, let’s go deeper and talk about the 15 best paying jobs in public utilities, such as:
- The first position I want to introduce is working as a Water Plant Operator, who controls the water quality with a $47,880 salary for a year.
- Also, you can work as a Nuclear Criticality Safety Engineer and work on transporting, managing, and storing nuclear materials with an annual salary of $102,950.
- The next popular position is Nuclear Licensing Engineer. In this position, you are responsible for helping nuclear energy plants to get licenses based on relevant regulations, and you will earn about $120,814 a year.
- Another option of the best paying job in public utilities is Utility Manager, which means you are at the head of a utility system’s operation, and you should control developments with an annual salary of $78,637.
- Power Plant Engineer is another great public utility job, in which you should test day-to-day operations, like controlling equipment, supplying preventative maintenance, considering thermal systems, and so on. In this position, you will earn about $80,097 in a year.
- Also, you can work as a Power System Dispatcher and control generator systems to reach maximum efficiency by receiving $82,871 a year.
- Energy Auditor is another helpful position in the public utility field, in which you should help organizations optimize their energy consumption. In this position, you will earn about $74,670 in a year.
- Among the best paying jobs in public utilities, I can mention Environmental Engineer, and in this position, you should use science and technology to protect and improve the environment by earning $92,120 a year.
- Petroleum Engineer is another great position, in which you should work on preparing, building, and utilizing oil and gas wells with a $114,285 annual salary.
- Also, you can work as a Health and Safety Engineer and guarantee the workers, the environment, and property safeness.
- Radiation Engineer is one of the best paying jobs in public utilities, for which you will earn $104,068 in a year by testing and assessing radiation impacts.
- If you are looking for a high-paying job in public utilities, you can work as a Gas Controller, work with companies, and control that consumers gain the right amount of gas or oil with a $90,538 salary in a year.
- Pipeline Controller is another great job I want to introduce in this position, in which you are responsible for duties like scanning pipelines for leaks, ensuring fuel liquids flow, and so. The annual salary of a Pipeline Controller would be about $94,937 in a year.
- Also, you can work as a Power Transmission Engineer, and design energy transport routes with a $91,311 annual salary.
- The last option I want to add to the list of best paying jobs in public utilities is Journeyman Lineman. In this position, you should work on maintaining and operating electric power grids with an $87,485 annual salary.
How to get best paying jobs in public utilities?
Until here, you learned what are the best paying jobs in public utilities, and what do public utilities jobs pay. Now, let’s see how you can get these best paying jobs in public utilities.
- To gain a job in the public utility field, you should be a registered employee, who has the Public Utilities Commission.
- And to reach this level, you should have a high school diploma or another degree equal to this and pass a criminal background check.
- Then you can start the process as a registered employee by filling out an application form for the Public Utilities Commission.
- When your form is approved by the Public Utilities Commission, they will send you a registration number, which means you can start working as a public utility.
Is public utilities a good career path?
Previously, you read about how many jobs are available in public utilities, now you might ask is public utilities a good career path. But the only person who can answer this question is you. Here, what we can do for you is to help you know about all the positive and negative sides of this position and details. So, we have written this text in the hope that it will help you make the best decision.
What are the benefits of best paying jobs in public utilities?
In this paragraph, I want to talk about the benefits of best paying jobs in public utilities, such as:
- Good salary: If you are looking for a reliable and well-paying company to work for, Public utilities are among the best options.
- Stable employers: As you might know, these companies are among the employers who are not subject to economic fluctuations, unlike other businesses.
- Great growth opportunities: As an example, many public utility companies provide training programs, and help employees develop their skills and get a promotion.
Also, as an employee in a utility company, you will benefit from other great options, like flexible work hours, and tuition reimbursement programs.
What are examples of utility workers?
In the above paragraphs that I talked about what do public utilities jobs pay, I have listed some of the best positions that a utility worker can choose, but if I want to make a short list of some of the best examples of utility workers, I can mention, a journeyman electrician, a plumber, a dining services worker, and so on.
If you are doubtful about choosing one of the best paying jobs in public utilities, I have to say that if you are a fan of helping people and have a high school diploma degree or higher, you can choose to work as a utility worker and earn a good salary, while you are benefiting from its great advantages. To know more about the details of how many jobs are available in public utilities, is public utilities a good career path, and what do public utilities jobs pay, read the whole above text.