Instagram Video calls
Instagram has rolled an update that will make us more obsessed with Instagram. It’s like how you can uninstall all of your other apps on your phone and have all their features on Instagram!
Many years ago, Instagram introduced a new feature that allows you to make direct video calls to your friends on Instagram. It can be instrumental when you don’t want the person to have your phone number, right? This feature (Instagram video chat) lets you chat one-on-one or with a group of your friends (up to four users).
How to video call on Instagram on mobile?
To make a video call on Instagram, all you need is to have the Instagram app and a smartphone. To make a video call on Instagram:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone
- Login to your account
- From the home tap on the triangular icon to go to the direct messages section
- Find the person you are going to make a call with them from the thread list
- Open the messages (if you have the conversation before)
- If you do not any conversation tap on the pencil icon on the top right of the DM section
- Search the name of the person
- Open the chatting area
- Tap on the camera icon on top right
- Now your camera would turn on
- If the person has turned the notifications on and has access to the internet would receive your call. Otherwise, they would see a missed call from you
Remember that if you do not have that person in your follower’s list, the call might go to the Requested messages of that account! They will not see the calls unless they open the requested section and open your conversation.
Why can’t I video call on Instagram?
There are some rules before making a video call on Instagram, which better, you know.
It is better to have the latest version of the Instagram app
- You should have a proper network connection. So, if you cannot make calls, better you turn it off and on again
- You should have the person in your following list (otherwise, they receive your missed call in the requested message).
- You should grant the Instagram access to microphone and camera on your phone
- You can try the VPN if you cannot make a call on Instagram
How to video call on Instagram PC
At this time, you can only send and receive messages on Instagram PC, but there is no option to use the Instagram video calls on PC. The Instagram video call is only available on mobile.
More about the Instagram video call
So if you are wondering how does this come in handy, I can give you an example:
Maybe someday you want to find your friends in someplace like a jungle. GPS doesn’t work quite right there, and you can’t see each other by sending pictures, so you can video chat on Instagram and find out where they are.
- You can make it a conference call with your coworkers or your classmates to complete your project.
- You can hang out with 4 of your friends at the same time to get outfit advice for your date.
- You can throw an online class or whatever you want!
- Now that you are excited enough about it Let’s find out how to work with it:
First, you should update your Instagram app version to the latest version. After that to start a video chat:
- swipe right into the direct section of your Instagram app.
- Open the message thread for the friend that you want to video chat with.
- Tap the new camera icon at the top right, and then you will start calling your friend.
- You can video chat with anyone (or groups) that you have an active direct message thread with.
- After you are done chatting you should tap the red phone icon at the bottom to end the video call.
Awesome little thing about it:
You can minimize your video chat window so you can still check your feed, look at messages, send images and like pictures and still stay on your call. To customize the experience, tap the gear icon on your profile page to fiddle with notifications and block or mute anyone you don’t want bothering you.